If you’re fed up of constantly shaving or waxing to get rid of unwanted facial or body hair, then maybe you’ve already thought about laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is the most permanent of all treatments available today, and more effective than shaving, waxing. Electrolysis is still in use, but as each hair has to be treated individually, it can be a painful hair removal method, and on occasions can cause scarring.
If you haven’t thought about laser hair removal yet, or thought that it sounded too daunting, these 10 tips will provide you with the information you need.
1) Laser hair removal isn’t suitable for every skin and hair type. The best results can be found on people with light skin and dark coarse hair. This hair removal procedure targets pigmented tissue, and doesn’t work well on red, white, blonde or grey hair.
2) The most common areas for laser hair removal are the lips, arms and underarms, legs, bikini line, legs, chest and back. Laser hair removal takes more time, and is more expensive for larger body areas than for smaller areas.
3) Depending on the area and skin and hair colour, it usually takes between 6 and 8 sessions of laser hair removal to fully get rid of the unwanted hair.
4) There are very few side effects to laser hair removal. The most common is that the treated area can be a bit sore and swollen for between a few minutes and a few full laser hair removal cost hours. In some cases, darkening or lightening of the skin can occur. Effects such as blistering or scarring or changes in the texture of the skin due to laser hair removal are very rare. Side effects caused by incorrect technique or wrong settings can be reduced by ensuring that the clinic you use for your laser hair removal treatment is registered and approved by the Healthcare Commission.
5) Ensure that you do some research before you make an appointment. Find the best qualified and experienced laser hair removal practitioner and ensure that the clinic is regulated. The cheapest clinic may not provide the best results, or be regulated. Laser hair removal clinics often advertise in fashion and lifestyle magazines and so you may be able get an idea of what to expect before you visit one.
6) Expect a thorough consultation from the laser hair removal clinician which should last 30-45 minutes and will cover your medical history and a test patch may be treated to see how you respond to laser hair removal.